If you have a creative mind and can give wings to your imagination, then pottery making will be a lot of fun for you. Once you have created a pottery jar from terra cotta, ceramic or porcelain, it is time for you to paint it with beautiful colors.
The beautifully painted handmade pottery looks interesting and reveals your artistic brilliance. So, customize the pottery pieces that you make as per your taste by following these tips.
How to Color Pottery?
- Get hold of colors of ceramic glaze from any art supply store and pour them into shallow paint dishes.
- As there may be accidental spills, be careful and place the pottery on a sheet of newspaper and keep a rough cloth handy.
- Now, as a next step dip your paint brush into your favorite glaze color and start painting the glaze onto the jar. You can either choose to paint your jar with a single color and give it a monochromatic look or you can paint it with a wide variety of colors to make it look more appealing.
- Now, dip an art sponge into the glaze and press it onto the jar. Sponges are used for giving a speckled look to the jar. If you want shapes or figures on your jar, you can make use of sponges that are available in different shapes.
- For adorning your jars with dots or lines, use toothpicks. Dip the toothpick into your favorite color glaze. Press the toothpick’s tip onto the jar and add some small patterns or dots. If you want to paint a line, press the entire length of the toothpick and press the tip if you want to draw a dot.
- Now, allow the jar to dry for 12 hours and then bake the jar in a kiln. Set to medium-high heat for at least 6-7 hours and allow the colored pot to cool for a couple of hours. Be cautious not to touch the pot before 6 hours.
Make Use of Fingertips For Painting Dots:
If you want to adorn your pots with different colored dots. Just make use of your fingers.
Your finger tips can paint the best dots on ceramics and pottery. Apart from this, this is simple and easy. Prior to start painting finger print dots, you should make sure that your fingers are clean. They should be free from grease, dirt, or anything that can contaminate your piece.
Also, do not forget to clean your fingers thoroughly before switching to another color. Keep a damp sponge ready. The spots created with your fingers are perfectly round and will look stylish.
Color Makes Your Creation Look Prettier
Whether it is just a flower vase, a garden container or just a show piece, painting your pottery pieces on your own gives you a great sense of achievement.
So, pick up a paint brush and bright colored ceramic glazes to make a drab pot look prettier. Your handmade pottery is sure to attract, not just admirers, but buyers.
Sometimes, the color in your art pieces makes the difference.